Now let’s talk side dishes, all the necessary fixings to go along with your turkey on Thanksgiving: mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes and peas.
At the local grocery store or market grab a bag or two of potatoes (depending on how many people you are cooking for) some butter, milk, garlic and salt and pepper. If you don’t have a potatoes masher don’t worry, a wooden spoon will do, but your potatoes maybe slightly chunky but still delicious.
- Boil a large pot of water (one pot per bag)
- Peel the potatoes and quarter them
- Once the water is brought to a boil add two pinches or salt and potatoes (be careful for water overflowing)
- Cook for 10-12 min or until potatoes are soft enough to stick a fork in it
- Strain the potatoes
- Add the potatoes, 3 cloves of chopped garlic, 1/3 of a cup of milk, ¼ of a stick butter, salt and pepper
- Start mashing
- Add more milk, butter, salt and pepper till you have your perfect consistency and flavor of mashed potatoes.
Don’t expect to easily find Stove Top stuffing here in Rome. But with a few local ingredients such as celery, onion, herbs and freshly cubed Italian bread, you will surly be able to create a great stuffing to serve along side your other dishes. Click here for an easy traditional recipe.
As around for patate Americane, that is Italian for sweet potatoes. Head to the International Market in Piazza Vittorio, the Testaccio Market or Campo de’ Fiori to find them, don’t be surprised if they end up being a little pricey.
There are many ways to make sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving Day, click here for a few recipes to choose from.
Here is my easy-peasy (yes pun intended) peas recipe. Head to the grocery store and buy a bag of frozen peas, dry wine (small boxed is fine), onion, garlic, olive oil, and pancetta.
- Heat pan on med with oil, ½ an onion, 3 gloves of garlic chopped and pancetta (I usually dice up half of what I buy at the store in the deli section)
- Add frozen peas
- 1/3 of the wine, a dash or two of water, salt and pepper
- Cover the pan and occasionally stir
- Add more oil, wine, water, salt and pepper as it cooks if you think it needs more
Enjoy these recipes and sides dishes during your Thanksgiving Feast on November 26th!
Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Cooking,